If I'm not drinking a smoothie for breakfast, I'm most likely enjoying a warm bowl of fluffy proats!
You might be saying, "What the heck is proats?". Proats is simply protein oats! A typical oatmeal dish is high in carbs and low in protein. I add egg whites or 1/2 scoop of protein powder to my oatmeal in the morning to get the protein I need.
This dish is filling, quick and easy to throw together, and makes a great breakfast or snack option.
I recommend eating proats on days you know you are going to lift heavy weights in the gym. It will give you the energy and power you need to get through a long and tough workout. It is also a great recovery snack after the gym. Ideally, I like to eat 20-25g of protein and 50g of carbs before and after my workout. Before a workout I suggest slow digesting carbs (like proats!) and fast digesting carbs after your workout.
- 1/3 cup quick oats
- 2/3 cup water
- 2-4 egg whites or 1/2 scoop (or 1 TBSP) protein powder
- 1/3 cup grated zucchini (optional but highly recommended!)
- Dash of cinnamon
- 1-2 TBSP honey
- Topping suggestions: Fresh fruit, almond or peanut butter, PB2, nuts, honey
- Mix together quick oats, water, egg white, zucchini, cinnamon for about 2 minutes. Stir at 1 minute.(May need extra heating time depending on your microwave.)
- Mix in honey.
- Top oatmeal with your favorite toppings. I enjoy 1/2 banana, strawberries, extra honey & cinnamon and almond butter.
- Note: If you want to try the protein powder option, mix in the protein powder after the oats are cooked. The egg white option is my favorite and makes the oatmeal super fluffy!